Saturday 30 November 2013

Autumn

It has been happening for a while now - the transformation. It's like a slow pulsing through my veins that is subtle but prominent enough that I cannot quite ignore it.

Instead of feeling vibrant and full of life, I have begun to feel as though I am curling at the edges; is this what they call "old age"? I am concerned that I have turned a peculiar colour. I remember whispers in the trees about this time of year - the time of change. It feels as though spring was just yesterday.

Now, suddenly, I am tired and lifeless. People stop and stare to admire me and my comrades - we are all in this together. Our proud golds and reds and browns compliment each other perfectly. We must be beautiful, but I know I certainly don't feel it. 

I hear a rustling that signifies a final goodbye from some of those close to me. It's time now for me, too, to complete my short journey. With a breeze as soft and quiet as a whisper, I detach from the branch that has been my life line for two seasons. As I flutter effortlessly to the ground, I can't help but feel satisfaction in the fact that I looked wonderful until the very end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment